Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital
The first Protestant church in hales Corners was founded here in 1888 on land purchased from William Cobb. Services were held in German until that language became unpopular during World War I. The minister at that time spoke no English and had to learn the new language before he could preach in it. In 1962 the old church, the animal hospital and the hospital annex which housed the post office, were razed and the present church erected.
In 1911 Dr. Max W. Brach built what was reputedly the largest veterinary hospital in the United States about where the bell tower stands now. It had hot water heat and included an office, medicine room, bedroom and operating room. Dr. Brach’s practice was largely the care of horses.
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10627 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early 1900s Business District (about 700 feet away); A Village Emerges! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Botanical Heritage: (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Voight - Boerner Botanical Gardens Director, 1941-1979 (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
Also see . . . Church Web-page:. (Submitted on August 18, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.