Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Early 1900s Business District

 
 
Early 1900s Business District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Schaettle, February 26, 2022
1. Early 1900s Business District Marker
Inscription.  Hales Corners grew into a Village after the Civil War. New homes and businesses were established along the Janesville Plank Road, the most important road in the Village.

Adam Conrad erected his Opera House at this approximate location on the “Plank Road” in 1908. It was used for events such as dances, movies, and parties – but never for operas.

Across the street were a number of businesses. They included a smithy, hardware store, grocery store, meat market, saloon, ice cream parlor, and cobbler shop. Often there were living quarters upstairs or in the back.
 
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 3.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 42° 56.287′ N, 88° 2.688′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on West Forest Home Avenue, ¼ mile east of South 108th Street (Wisconsin Highway 100), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Turn of the Century Business District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
2. Turn of the Century Business District Marker
The marker previously had the title of Turn of the Century Business and some wording differences.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 10539 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hales Corners – A Farm Village (within shouting distance of this marker); The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Village Emerges! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black Botanical Heritage: (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Voight - Boerner Botanical Gardens Director, 1941-1979 (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
 
Early 1900s Business District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Schaettle, February 26, 2022
3. Early 1900s Business District Marker
Turn of the Century Business District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
4. Turn of the Century Business District Marker
Look east along West Forest Home Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 26, 2022, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on February 26, 2022, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76062

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022