St. Catharines in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada
The barrel displays no crests or markings to indicate its country or place of origin, not its maker or date of manufacture. The bent barrel and broken pintles (the 'pins' on either side of the barrel upon which it pivots) suggest the cannon was intentionally discarded. Perhaps it was brought to St. Catharines in the 19th century as ballast in a ship passing through the Canal or maybe it was on a ship being repaired at a local shipyard.
Location. 43° 9.374′ N, 79° 11.658′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Regional Municipality of Niagara. Marker can be reached from Welland Canals Parkway. Marker is on the grounds of the St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canals Centre. Marker is north of the museum building on an oval path with other artifacts and markers. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fourth Welland Canal (a few steps from this marker); Bollard (a few steps from this marker); William Hamilton Merritt 1793 - 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Welland Ship Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); International Shipmasters' Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Welland Canals (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Spring Tooth Cultivator (about 90 meters away); The Welland Canals and the St. Lawrence Seaway System (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
Also see . . . St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canal Centre. (Submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Cannon Barrel.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.