Port Huron in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This structure, which has served as
the Port Huron, Michigan Customhouse since
1874, was dedicated as a Historic Bicentennial
Customhouse in honor and recognition
of U.S. Customs steadfast and vigilant
service to the United States of America
U.S. Customs Service 1789-1989
On October 8, 1874, at Port Huron, Michigan, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, William L. Webber, Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons of Michigan, laid the U.S. Customhouse cornerstone.
On October 6, 1988, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Kenneth Bolton, Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons of Michigan, affixed this marker to commemorate the U.S. Customs Service Bicentennial, 1789-1989.
Erected 1988 by U.S. Customs Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 42° 58.51′ N, 82° 25.547′ W. Marker is in Port Huron, Michigan, in St. Clair Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 526 Water Street, Port Huron MI 48060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Intersection of Military Road and Indian Reservation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hammond American Legion Post 8 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrington Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Huron Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huron Lightship (approx. one mile away); Thomas Alva Edison (approx. 1.6 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Huron.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.