Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keller in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oak Grove Methodist Church

 
 
Oak Grove Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 20, 2008
1. Oak Grove Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Two miles east, on Route 600, meets what is possibly the nation's oldest continuous Sunday School. Begun by William Elliott in his home in 1785, it was moved in 1816 to Burton's Chapel and in 1870 to the present church.
 
Erected 1957 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number WY-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
 
Location. 37° 37.541′ N, 75° 45.489′ W. Marker is in Keller, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Adams Crossing Road and US 13, on the right when traveling east on Adams Crossing Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keller VA 23401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “The Bear and the Cub” (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named “The Bear and the Cub” (approx. 2.7 miles away); St. George's Episcopal Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.9 miles away); Harborton High School (approx. 4.8 miles away); Onancock (approx. 5˝ miles away); Occohannock Indians (approx. 5.8 miles away); Water: A Way of Life (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dr. John Ross (approx. 6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then and 44 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7615

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024