Algood in Putnam County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Walton Road
William Quarles, Revolutionary War officer, settled here ca. 1809, built a house, barns, general store, blacksmith shop, and school, and set up a post office. His residence was a noted inn along the old pike. When Putnam County was established in 1842, the site served as a county seat. Quarles' grandson, Stephen D. Burton, farmer, merchant, and slave trader, built this home before 1860.
Erected by Tennessee Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1809.
Location. 36° 10.654′ N, 85° 27.064′ W. Marker is in Algood, Tennessee, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Walton Road and Old Walton Road & Arbor Pl, on the left when traveling east on Old Walton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cookeville TN 38501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named White Plains (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buck's College (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Salem Methodist Church Capshaw School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Israel Putnam (approx. 2.9 miles away); Putnam County Revolutionary Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Putnam County's Third and Fourth Courthouses (approx. 2.9 miles away); Putnam County Courthouses (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2014, by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2014, by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee. 3. submitted on October 6, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.