Winnie in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Winnie and Stowell are two communities in northeastern Chambers County that were founded in the mid-1890s on the Gulf & Interstate Railway. The towns share a common economic history and cultural heritage and often are referred to simply as Winnie-Stowell.
The town of Winnie was organized by the Winnie Loan and Improvement Co., a corporation based in Galveston that promoted settlement in the townsite. A school and bank were in operation by 1910, and Winnie became the retail center for the surrounding area.
Early settlers in Stowell included the W. W. Gregory and Spencer families and F. W. Schwettman. In 1899 Schwettman helped build the Farmers Canal, which served the area's irrigation needs. The canal proved very successful until a 1915 storm ruined it and most of the surrounding rice fields. During the 20th century irrigation systems improved, which allowed for the successful commercial development of orange, fig, and rice production in the area.
In 1931 the school systems of Winnie and Stowell were combined into one district. This system, along with the establishment of Winnie-Stowell Park in 1957, has
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9144.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 48.786′ N, 94° 22.887′ W. Marker is in Winnie, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of LeBlanc Road and Park Street, on the right when traveling east on LeBlanc Road. The marker is in the northwest corner of the fenced park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnie TX 77665, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.