Heathsville in Northumberland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Northumberland Courthouse Square
This site first patented in 1663 was the site of the first courthouse built c.1681. The present courthouse built in 1851 is the third on this site.
Erected 1987 by Lettice Lee Chapter, The National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, Korean • War, Vietnam • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1663.
Location. 37° 55.021′ N, 76° 28.353′ W. Marker is in Heathsville, Virginia, in Northumberland County. Memorial can be reached from the intersection of Northumberland Highway (U.S. 360) and Monument Place, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Heathsville VA 22473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II Memorial (here, next to this marker); Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Northumberland County Confederate Monument World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice’s Hotel / Hughlett’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Northumberland County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Stephen’s Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Heathsville.
Also see . . . Heathsville Historic District. National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 21, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.