Center City East in Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 39° 57.039′ N, 75° 9.13′ W. Marker was in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. It was in Center City East. Marker was at the intersection of South 7th Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling south on South 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 701 Market Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Graff House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Declaration House (here, next to this marker); a different marker Declaration House (a few steps from this marker); "…it was intended to be an expression of the American mind…" (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Declaration House (within shouting distance of this marker); American Pharmaceutical Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Rohm and Haas [Headquarters] (within shouting distance of this marker); Bicentennial Dawn, Philadelphia (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Regarding Declaration House. The original Graff House was torn down in 1883. The current structure was reproduced from photos and historic descriptions.
Thomas Jefferson rented two rooms whilst he was part of a delegation that was tasked with writing a document to sever ties with England. Jefferson entertained other members of the Congress in the sitting room of the house.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Also see . . .
1. Independence Hall Association Declaration (Graff) House site. (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by R. C. of College Station, Texas.)
2. National Park Service page for the Declaration House. (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2008, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2008, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.