Near La Fontaine in Huntington County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Banquo High School
The original high school was housed over a grocery store across the road and graduated its first class of two students in 1897.
Three buildings have served as a school on this site. The original one-room grade school was replaced by a two-room school in 1900. This building had one room for grades 1-7 and the second room served 8-12. The first commencement was held in 1902.
In 1914-15 a larger building was erected on this site providing more classrooms, kitchen and lunch room/assembly/gym. The last class of seven students graduated from this high school in 1955 bringing the total number of graduates to 367. The school continued as a grade school until 1965 when it was consolidated.
Basketball has always been part of the Banquo heritage. One of the first gymnasiums in the state was built here by volunteers/players in 1911 and was home to the independent team for 11 seasons.
Marker dedicated to students, graduates and faculty of Banquo School and sponsored by Huntington County Historical Society
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 40° 41.803′ N, 85° 37.206′ W. Marker is near La Fontaine, Indiana, in Huntington County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 105 and County Road W 900S, on the right when traveling north on State Road 105. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Fontaine IN 46940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Medical Doctors / Chase S. Osborn (approx. 3 miles away); La Fontaine Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Battle of Mississinewa (approx. 6.1 miles away); Civil War Memorial - - Monument City Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Chief Meshingomesia (approx. 7 miles away); Miami Indian Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away); Miami Indian Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Metocinyah's Village (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Fontaine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 21, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.