Wabash in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Quarters of Lewis Cass
Governor of Michigan
In 1831 President Andrew Jackson appointed Governor Cass Secretary of War. He later served as Minister to France.
In the mid 1840's, he was elected to the United States Senate. He was the Democratic Party nominee for president in 1848, but lost to Zachery Taylor.
In 1857 President Buchanan appointed Cass Secretary of State. His public service ended when he resigned in 1860 and returned to Michigan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812.
Location. 40° 47.836′ N, 85° 48.947′ W. Marker is in Wabash, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker can be reached from E. Market Street 0.2 miles east of S. Allen Street. Marker is located in the northern part of Paradise Spring Park west of the parking lot; the above directions are to the driveway to the park’s northeast parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wabash IN 46992, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters of James B. Ray (here, next to this marker); Quarters of Major General John Tipton Quarters of Captain Frederick R. Kintner (a few steps from this marker); Council House (a few steps from this marker); Treaty of 1826 Meeting Camp (a few steps from this marker); Storage Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Cook's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Big Four Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wabash.
Also see . . . Lewis Cass - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on August 27, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 4. submitted on April 19, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.