Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Independence in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Independence

 
 
Independence Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 18, 2011
1. Independence Marker
Inscription.  Known as Uncle Sam when settled in 1830's. Italian families began to arrive in early 1880's. Because of this heritage, the town has come to be known as "Little Italy". Downtown historic district created by city in 1982.
 
Erected 1982 by the Louisiana Dept. of Commerce and Tourism.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 38.134′ N, 90° 30.052′ W. Marker is in Independence, Louisiana, in Tangipahoa Parish. Marker is at the intersection of West Railroad Avenue (U.S. 51) and West 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on West Railroad Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 539 West Railroad Ave, Independence LA 70443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loranger High School (approx. 6.1 miles away); Church of the Incarnation (approx. 6˝ miles away); Blythewood Plantation (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Republic of West Florida (approx. 8 miles away); Site of 1st Classroom Bldg.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 8.7 miles away); Friendship Circle (approx. 8.8 miles away); Grace Memorial Episcopal Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); City Of Hammond (approx. 9.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 417 times since then. Last updated on August 28, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photo   1. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021