Tremont Temple was once the renowned Tremont Theater. Most of the famous actors, singers and lecturers of the day performed here. John Gilbert, Jenny Lind, Daniel Webster and Charles Dickens all made appearances.
In 1843, the Theater became the Temple when the Free Baptist Society bought it. It was the first integrated church in Boston, the first to provide free seats, and it was called the "Pulpit of America" by Dwight L. Moody, the famous evangelist. The Temple burned three times. The present building was constructed in 1896.
Erected by Boston 200.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 42° 21.452′ N, 71° 3.647′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Tremont Street south of School Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Riot, the Massacre, and the Tea Party (within shouting distance of this marker); North Church Tower (within shouting
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on June 29, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.