Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Van Schaick

 
 
Camp Van Schaick - Van Schaick Island, Cohoes, NY image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 7, 2008
1. Camp Van Schaick - Van Schaick Island, Cohoes, NY
Inscription.  
Continental Army, Northern
Department under command
General Philip Schuyler
General Horatio Gates
Aug. 15 - Sept. 8, 1777

 
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable EventsWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1755.
 
Location. 42° 46.106′ N, 73° 41.368′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Avenue and Myrtle Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Park Avenue. Marker is located in the Northwest corner of the Van Schaick Park which is bounded by Park Ave on the West, Myrtle Ave on the North, Continental Ave. on the East and Van Schaick Ave. on the South. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Van Schaick (here, next to this marker); Van Schaick Mansion (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion (about 800 feet away); Van Schaick Burial Plot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Continental Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); Van Schaick Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knickerbacker Toll Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohoes.
 
Regarding Camp Van Schaick. Trouble was brewing in 1777 at Camp Van Schaick on Van Schaick Island, located where the Hudson meets the Mohawk. The transfer of command from General Philip Schuyler to General Horatio Gates was going badly. Gates did not want to accept command of the ill-fed, ill-clothed army, and the troops were grumbling about being under Gates' command. On August 22, Governor George Clinton went to Camp Van Schaick to settle the problem. With the help of General Schuyler's loan of $10,000 for supplies, Governor Clinton negotiated the transfer, and left the island on August 27. That was roughly six weeks before October 7, when the American soldiers captured General Burgoyne at the second Battle of Saratoga, and turned the tide of the Revolutionary War.
(Submitted on May
Camp Van Schaick Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 7, 2011
2. Camp Van Schaick Marker
8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Also see . . .
1. Peebles Island. A Revolutionary Day website entry (Submitted on July 20, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. The Camp Van Schaick loan. This link, from the Van Schaick Mansion Website identifies John Van Schaick as the source of $10,000 loan.
"In this house-John G. Van Schaick (the third generation in America) loaned $10,000.00 in gold to General Gates, with the influence of General Schuyler, on August 19, 1777 for the purchase of military supplies. In return, Van Schaick was given Continental script. This script was never redeemed as Congress took the position that General Gates had no authority to borrow the money." (Submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.) 
 
Camp Van Schaick Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 7, 2008
3. Camp Van Schaick Marker
Cohoes' Park Avenue is on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,994 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   2. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   3. submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7665

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024