Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hinton in Summers County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Fort Culbertson

 
 
Fort Culbertson Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
1. Fort Culbertson Marker
Inscription.  South on New River at Crump's Bottom, Fort Culbertson was built, 1774, at outbreak of Dunmore's War by Capt. James Robertson on order of William Preston, Lieutenant-Colonel of Fincastle County. This fort was garrisoned by troops.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
 
Location. 37° 39.017′ N, 80° 52.832′ W. Marker is in Hinton, West Virginia, in Summers County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street and Greenbrier Drive (West Virginia Route 3), on the right when traveling north on Cedar Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hinton WV 25951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wreck on the C&O (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Jack Warhop (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hinton (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lilly (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lilly Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pack's Ferry
Wide view of the Fort Culbertson Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
2. Wide view of the Fort Culbertson Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3˝ miles away); Giles, Fayette & Kanawha Turnpike (approx. 4 miles away); Big Bend Tunnel (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hinton.
 
Also see . . .
1. e-WV | Fort Culbertson. (Submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. New River Gorge NR: Proceedings-New River Symposium 1984. The remains of Culbertson's Fort and Farley's Fort have not been located. Solecki (1949:342) assigned archeological site number 46SU23 to an area 400 feet from the mouth of Joshua's Run which he thought may have been the location of Culbertson's Fort. European artifacts were found in the area but no test excavations were ever undertaken.

If these Forts and other early cabin sites could be located, they would undoubtedly qualify for the National Register of Historic Places. They would also provide valuable information on the early European settlements in the area.
(Submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76682

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 23, 2021