Saint Paul in Ramsey County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
History of Saint Paul
[1.] We entered a strange wilderness
[2.] We camped among Indian Nations
[3.] We trapped the land’s abundance
[4.] We labored with the Earth
[5.] We bridged great distances
[6.] Now we remember the wilderness
[Chapel] In 1841, Father Lucien Galtier traveled to our city, which was little more than a landing called Pig’s Eye. He built a chapel here and called it Saint Paul. Thus our city was formed and named.
It is put together in solid blocks
of honest brick and stone and
has the air of intending to stay.
Life on the Mississippi (1883)
In October, 1841, eight men gathered here with their axes to build our city’s first chapel: Pierre & Charles Bottineau, two men named Pierre Gervais, Vital Guerin, Isaac & Joseph Labissonniere and Francois Morin.
[Belfry & Bell]
After the bell from the sunken steamboat Argo was salvaged in 1847, the Honorable Henry M. Rice presented it to Father Augustine
“The opening of navigation was hailed with delight and the first steamboat that touched the levee each spring was welcomed by almost the entire population.”
The Minnesota Democrat, 1 November 1854
[Terra Cotta panels along riverfront wall, in no particular order]
Erected by City of Saint Paul.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1841.
Location. 44° 56.692′ N, 93° 5.408′ W. Marker is in Saint Paul, Minnesota, in Ramsey County. Marker is at the intersection of Kellogg Boulevard East and Minnesota Street, on the right when traveling east on Kellogg Boulevard East. Markers are in Kellogg Park Mall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 62 Kellogg Boulevard East, Saint Paul MN 55101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Reverend Lucien Galtier (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Fahlstrom (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Building (about 700 feet away); Endicott BuildingUnion Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Lambert's Landing (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to Union Depot Station (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Paul.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. submitted on August 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.