Maxville in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Rev. Charles W. Gordon
Born at Indian Lands (St. Elmo), Gordon was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1890. He served as a missionary in the North West Territories until 1893 and the following year was called to St. Stephens in Winnipeg. A chaplain during the War of 1914-18, he was Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Canada 1921-22. Under the pen name of Ralph Connor, Gordon became one of Canada's leading authors and wrote such books as "The Man From Glengarry", "The Sky Pilot" and "Glengarry School Days". The themes of many of his novels were drawn from his missionary experiences and boyhood memories of Glengarry.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • War, World I.
Location. 45° 18.692′ N, 74° 52.457′ W. Marker is in Maxville, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Marker is on Highland Road (County Route 20) 0.1 kilometers south of Kenyon Concession 19, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1996 Highland Road, Maxville, Ontario K0C 1T0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glengarry Congregational Church (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sir Edward Robert Peacock, G.C.V.O. (about 120 meters away).
More about this marker. Marker is located in front of Gordon Presbyterian Church.
Regarding The Rev. Charles W. Gordon. A Presbyterian minister and missionary of Highland ancestry, Gordon was born in St. Elmo. He spent much of his life in western Canada and under the pen-name of Ralph Connor wrote some 30 popular novels, some of which were based on his memories of growing up in Glengarry County.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.