Beaver Crossing in Seward County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Beaver Crossing, Nebraska
About 1871 the post office was moved to the present-day town site where a flour mill had been built. During this decade many settlers arrived and Beaver Crossing grew and prospered. The town was incorporated in 1892.
This area was well known for its artesian wells. The first one was discovered in 1895. Wells in this park poured fresh water into what was once the largest swimming pool in the state. Other wells supplied the Smiley Botanical Gardens on the southeast edge of town. In the 1930s goldfish and water lilies were raised there commercially in fifty ponds. Later, the demands of irrigation dropped the water table and the artesian wells went dry.
Erected by Beaver Crossing Chamber of Commerce; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 363.)
Topics and series. This historical Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1868.
Location. 40° 46.583′ N, 97° 16.638′ W. Marker is in Beaver Crossing, Nebraska, in Seward County. Marker is on Elk Street, on the left when traveling east. South side of Beaver Crossing city park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver Crossing NE 68313, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Beaver Crossing Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); PFC Charley Havlat (approx. 12½ miles away); 1879 Exeter 1979 (approx. 12.9 miles away); Seward, 4th of July City (approx. 13 miles away); Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site (approx. 13.2 miles away); Big Blue River, Seward (approx. 13.2 miles away); Pleasant Hill (approx. 16.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.