Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Seward County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Historic Milford

 
 
Historic Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joan Shurtliff, September 1, 2014
1. Historic Milford Marker
Inscription.  Founded by J. L Davison in 1864 near the limestone ford where the Nebraska City to Fort Kearny "Steam Wagon Road" crossed the Blue River, Milford is the oldest town in Seward County, serving as the first county seat until 1871. Milford was home to the famous Shogo mineral water springs and the Quenchaqua flour mills (1867-1934). In 1877 several hundred Ponca Indians passed through Milford when the government forced the tribe to move from their Nebraska homeland to an Oklahoma reservation. Prairie Flower, the daughter of Ponca Chief Standing Bear, died here on June 5, and was buried in an unmarked grave. A sanatorium built in 1889 became a state soldiers' and sailors' home from 1895 to 1939, now the location of Southeast Community College. The Nebraska Industrial Home for unwed mothers (1889-1953), the famed "Shogo Island" pleasure resort, and Cavalry Troop A of the Nebraska National Guard were all located in Milford. The town is the birthplace of Harry Culver, founder of Culver City, California
 
Erected by Milford Area Historical Society; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 454.)
Historic Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joan Shurtliff, September 8, 2014
2. Historic Milford Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1867.
 
Location. 40° 46.386′ N, 97° 3.112′ W. Marker is in Milford, Nebraska, in Seward County. Marker is at the intersection of B Street and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on B Street. It is on the east side of the park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford NE 68405, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Standing Bear and the Ponca Tribe (approx. 3.4 miles away); Tall Grass Prairie (approx. 3.4 miles away); Purple Heart Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Big Blue River (approx. 3.4 miles away); Big Blue River, Seward (approx. 9.2 miles away); Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site (approx. 9.2 miles away); PFC Charley Havlat (approx. 9˝ miles away); Seward, 4th of July City (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska.   2. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76765

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021