Maxville in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Glengarry Congregational Church
This log structure, completed in 1837, is the oldest remaining chapel in Ontario built by Congregationalists. Its first minister, the Reverend William McKillican (1776-1849), emigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1816, and settled in Glengarry the following year. Here, in 1823, he established one of the earliest congregations of his denomination in Upper Canada and ministered throughout the surrounding region. He was succeeded by his son John (1824-1911) who first preached in this chapel in 1850, and was ordained here the following year. During the next sixty years local attendance diminished, and by about 1912 the building fell into disuse. In 1920 it was sold to the nearby Gordon Presbyterian Church.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 45° 18.719′ N, 74° 52.529′ W. Marker is in Maxville, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Kenyon Concession 19 0.1 kilometers west of Highland Road (County Route 20), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir Edward Robert Peacock, G.C.V.O. (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. Charles W. Gordon (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line).
Regarding Glengarry Congregational Church. The oldest remaining chapel in Ontario built by Congregationalists, this log church served the region for some 75 years.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Glengarry Congregational Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 237 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.