Olde Towne in Portsmouth, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The 1846 Courthouse
Path of History
— Portsmouth, VA —
A grand opening on July 4, 1984, heralded its new use as the Community Arts Center and Children's Museum of Virginia. John Paul Hanbury of Portsmouth was the architect for renovation of the building.
Today, it serves as a museum which offers arts programs, workshops and rotating visual arts and humanities exhibits.
(left) To the left of the 1846 Courthouse is the Norfolk County Clerk's Ofﬁce. To the rear is the 1912 Municipal Building.
(right)The original 1846 Courthouse
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 36° 50.144′ N, 76° 18.064′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portsmouth VA 23704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Norfolk County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Towne Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Commodore Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Court Street Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Church (about 400 feet away); Monumental Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Portsmouth Public Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Olde Towne.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.