Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church
The church at this site burned in 1909 and again in 1944 and would be rebuilt each time. Additional land was purchased through the years, and in 1978 a thousand-seat sanctuary was built at a cost of $713,236. This property was the home of Collierville First Baptist Church for a hundred and ten years until their move to Byhalia Road in 1995. In 1993, the property was sold to the Town of Collierville and used briefly as government offices. In August 2005, the town removed the church buildings and this park was established. In May 2009, the park was named “Tom Brooks Park” in honor of his contributions to the Collierville
Erected 2009 by Town of Collierville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 2009.
Location. 35° 2.636′ N, 89° 40.006′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Walnut Street south of College Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Collierville TN 38017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort/Stockade (a few steps from this marker); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Collierville (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom Brooks Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Walking Trail Start/End Kiosk (within shouting distance of this marker); Collierville High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Treating the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.