Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ornate Victorian house built for millionaire cattleman - banker Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890), one of organizers of Columbus Meat & Ice Co. Stafford built home and Opera House in same year, 1886. By design, he could sit in his bedroom and see Opera House stage performances, next door.
Home lost a cupola in 1909 hurricane. It was owned by the Staffords until 1915, then sold to Mrs. Helena Miller, whose descendants still preserve it.
After death of Mrs. Helena Miller on April 14, 1936, house was inherited by E.G. Mill, who is the present owner. (1973)
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5088.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
Location. 29° 42.32′ N, 96° 32.399′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Milam Street (Texas Highway 52), on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rangers of Austin's Colony (a few steps from this marker); Tumlinson Family (a few steps from this marker); Colorado County, 1837, and Robert "Three-Legged Willie" Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stafford Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colorado County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (about 300 feet away); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (about 300 feet away); Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.