Laramie in Albany County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
French Canadian Jacques LaRamie trapped beaver throughout the bountiful rivers and steams of southeast Wyoming. Today a city, county river, mountain range, peak and fort bear his name. Only mountain man Jim Bridger has Wyoming landmarks named for him.
Passengers on one of the first trains to arrive in Laramie included Edward and Jane Ivinson, early pioneers who were instrumental in turning a rowdy tent city into a thriving, respectable “Gem City of the Plains.”
N.K. Boswell led a vigilante committee into the Bucket of Blood Saloon for a shootout with some of Laramie’s most despicable criminals. A public triple lynching soon, followed by a fourth, persuaded most of the remaining desperadoes to leave town.
Six Laramie women became the first in the world to sit on a civil jury; they heard
After donning a clean apron, Laramie housewife Louisa Swain, 70, became the first woman in history to cast a ballot under laws guaranteeing political equality to women. She is usually portrayed carrying a small bucket that held yeast purchased on her way home.
The Wyoming Territorial Prison opened its doors to “evildoers of all classes and kinds” with N.K. Boswell, first sheriff of the county, as its warden. Legendary outlaw Butch Cassidy served his only prison sentence at his facility.
Notes humorist Bill Nye became editor of the Laramie Boomerang (named after his mule), which was published on the second floor of a livery stable on S. Third St. Nye also served as Laramie postmaster and justice of the peace.
Located on the site of a former city park, the University of Wyoming opened its doors to five faculty members, and 42 students with is only building still under construction. Today “Old Main” is a landmark in the town that has grown around it.
Wyoming’s first automobile was built by Elmer Lovejoy, whose bike repair and novelty shop was located at 412 S. Second St. In 1902 he invented a
The original UPRR Hotel and Depot were destroyed when a spark from a passing train flew into an open window. The current depot, now a museum, was built three blocks south of here in 1924.
The Garfield St. footbridge, spanning on of the country’s busiest rail lines, provided workers safe access to Union Pacific’s roundhouse and repair shops. Today pedestrians and cyclists use it to commute between downtown Laramie and the West Side.
The largest fire in Laramie history began in the Holliday Building, destroying or damaging 7 buildings and 29 businesses along Custer and Garfield between First and Second Streets. The rest of the town was spared when the wind changed direction.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 18.66′ N, 105° 35.759′ W. Marker is in Laramie, Wyoming, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South First Street, Laramie WY 82070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Woman Jury (about 400 The Franchise (about 600 feet away); 150 N. 2nd Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laramie (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Ladies (approx. 0.4 miles away); Excavation Site: Ice House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excavation Site: Basement Entrance to the Warden's House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excavation Site: Old Kitchen and Bakery Ovens (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laramie.
Also see . . . Laramie Wyoming - Wikipedia. Laramie suffered initially from lawlessness. Its first mayor, M.C. Brown, resigned his office on June 12, 1868 after six turbulent weeks, saying that the other officials elected alongside him on May 2 were guilty of "incapacity and laxity" in dealing with the city's problems. This was much due to the threat to the community from three half-brothers, early Old West gunman "Big" Steve Long, Con Moyer and Ace Moyer. (Submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.