Idaho Springs in Clear Creek County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Idaho Springs Opera House
1535 Miner Street
Mrs. Coddington owned a two-story brick double on the corner lot. It was occupied by W.K. Townsend (grocer) and Paul Lanius (hardware). Townsend imported glassware and crockery and was said to have the best selection of cigars in town. "Lets all rejoice-Paul Lanius and company have opened a general hardware store in the Coddington Block", an 1881 newspaper proclaimed and promised that a full supply of "stoves, miners' supplies, powder and fuses" would always be on hand.
In a small one-story addition was the "Palace of Sweets", later the "Opera Confectionery".
The Coddington Block burned in January 1989 and was demolished the following March to make way for Citizen's Park.
S.J. Coddington owned the adjacent property to the west until 1912, when he agreed to sell it to a group of investors who called themselves "The Idaho Springs Opera House Association". During the next two decades, the building was both a vaudeville and movie theatre. Eventually called the "Mines Theatre", movies were shown here into the 1970's. The ballroom was consumed by fire in the 1940's.
The building has a masonry belt course beneath the second floor windows,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 39° 44.517′ N, 105° 30.975′ W. Marker is in Idaho Springs, Colorado, in Clear Creek County. Marker is on Miner Street 0.1 miles east of 15th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1535 Miner Street, Idaho Springs CO 80452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mining Exchange Building (a few steps from this marker); The Mead and Cooper Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Charlie Tayler Waterwheel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arrastra (about 600 feet away); Central City (approx. 4 miles away); Central City Opera (approx. 4 miles away); The AOUW Building (approx. 4 miles away); The Ignatz Meyer Building (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Idaho Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.