Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum

 
 
Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judy King, September 4, 2014
1. Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker
Inscription.  Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became Haysville, incorporated in 1878. The name was changed to Arlington in 1883, and again incorporated in 1900. In 1905, the Arlington Bank and Trust Company was established in this building.
 
Erected 1982 by Arlington Chapter of the APTA.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
 
Location. 35° 17.772′ N, 89° 39.681′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Chester Street and Walker Street, on the right when traveling south on Chester Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TN 38002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Country Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Arlington Historic Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Arlington (within
Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judy King, September 4, 2014
2. Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
shouting distance of this marker); Harrell Farm Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mary Alice Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Arlington, Tennessee Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Hughes-College Hill Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76898

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022