Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This commercial vernacular building was built for W.H. and Emma Wheeler in 1907 by Allen Brothers Construction Company. Built of locally made bricks, the structure exhibits Romanesque Revival style influences and features corbelled brickwork, arched paired windows on the second floor, and a recessed corner entry. Tenants of the building have included a dentist, retail stores, a nursing home, and a Boy Scout troop.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5778.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 41.196′ N, 97° 6.516′ W. Marker is in Flatonia, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of West South Main Street and South Penn Street, on the left when traveling west on West South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West South Main Street, Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. High Hill Cemetery Catholic Life Insurance (approx. 11.1 miles away); Creuzbaur's Battery, C.S.A. (approx. 11.1 miles away); The Town of Waelder (approx. 11.4 miles away); United Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 12.6 miles away); Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 12.6 miles away); Czech Catholic Union of Texas (approx. 15.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Czech Catholic Union of Texas (approx. 15.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 2, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.