Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House

 
 
Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 1, 2014
1. Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House Marker
Inscription.  Dr. George Washington Allen (1849-1903) founded the Flatonia City Hospital in 1896, and this building was completed the following year to serve the medical needs of the growing railroad town. About 1910 the second floor hospital space became the site of the City's Opera House. In 1914 this Romanesque revival building was sold to H. E. Olle, who leased it for over 60 years. Businesses located here have included a drugstore, chicken hatchery, skating rink, and cafe.
 
Erected 1983. (Marker Number 1908.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 29° 41.199′ N, 97° 6.529′ W. Marker was in Flatonia, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker could be reached from West South Main Street west of South Penn Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Wheeler Building (a few steps from this marker); Flatonia (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mike Schulze Building
Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 1, 2014
2. Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House
This is the front of the building the town historian told me was the old opera house
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); Olle Hotel (about 600 feet away); Flatonia Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The American Doughboy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 7.7 miles away); St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flatonia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76915

Paid Advertisement
May. 10, 2021