Rincon in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Silk Culture at Ebenezer
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1736.
Location. 32° 22.595′ N, 81° 10.894′ W. Marker is in Rincon, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is on Ebenezer Road (Highway 275). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rincon GA 31326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town of Ebenezer (within shouting distance of this marker); John Adam Treutlen (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Martin Bolzius / The Rev. Israel Christian Gronau (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jerusalem Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); The Salzburgers (approx. ¼ mile away); March to the Sea: Ebenezer Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Old River Road (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rincon.
Also see . . . Ebenezer, Georgia. Ebenezer is a ghost town in Effingham County, Georgia, United States, along the banks of Ebenezer Creek. It was established in 1734 by 150 Salzburger Protestants who had been expelled from Salzburg by edict. Ebenezer was moved closer to the Savannah River in 1736, and at its new location many silk mills were opened. (Submitted on May 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,330 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.