Wilsonville in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Regular Sunday play on this site was against teams from Salem, Canby, Mt. Hangel, Woodburn, St. Paul, Sherwood, Stafford, Tualatin, the "Sweetbriars" from Pete's Mountain area and even a train car load of players from the Oregon Penitentiary. This marker is positioned in what would have been centerfield. Home plate was northwest of this marker, the first base line parallel to the railroad tracks.
Wilsonville during those years was led by the four Baker brothers, who learned the game on their own baseball diamond at the family farm off Grahams Ferry Road. One of the brothers - Del - went on to play for the Detroit Tigers. He later became the manager, leading the Tigers to the World Series in 1940 where they lost to Cincinnati in seven games. His baseball career spanned 50 years.
Another Wilsonville team member was Andy Hasselbrink, a life-long baseball enthusiast for whom the new playing field at Wilsonville Memorial
Erected 2001 by Wilsonville-Boones Ferry Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 45° 18.291′ N, 122° 46.249′ W. Marker is in Wilsonville, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on Boones Ferry Road, on the right when traveling south. Coordinates are approximate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29722 SW Boones Ferry Road, Wilsonville OR 97070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The “Old Church” (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Train Depot (approx. half a mile away); Drug Store and Lodge Hall (approx. half a mile away); The Cottage Hotel (approx. half a mile away); Norris Young Machine Shop (approx. half a mile away); Site of Bill Flynn’s Saloon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Boone’s Landing (approx. ¾ mile away); Tauchman House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilsonville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2014, by Molly Martin of Wilsonville, Oregon. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Molly Martin of Wilsonville, Oregon. 2. submitted on September 18, 2014. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Confirmation marker is at/near listed coordinates. • Can you help?