Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old City Hall
Old City Hall is uniquely integrated with its canal environment. During the Barge Canal Improvement (1905-1918), the north foundation wall was used to form a retaining wall at the foot of Locks 34 and 35. The Old Canal Raceway runs underneath the building.
The structure began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Later the building was converted from a flour mill into one of the first water pumping plants in America. In 1893 it was converted into Lockport City Hall.
Sidebar on the right
Birdsill Holly (1820-1891)
was the inventor of the Holly System of Direct Pressure Water Supply and Fire Protection for cities, towns and villages. His large industrial
He blasted an underground raceway to utilize the surplus water from the canal to provide power for his factory and mills and also for other industries located on both sides of the canal. One of his greatest achievements was the invention of Central District Steam Heat.
Erected by New York State Canals. (Marker Number 5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list.
Location. 43° 10.239′ N, 78° 41.559′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Pine Street near Main Street (New York State Route 31), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Pine Street, Lockport NY 14094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lockport City Hall (here, next to this marker); Lock Construction (a few steps from this marker); The Great American Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Locks West (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Locks View (within shouting Life on the Barges (within shouting distance of this marker); Electric Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Lock Construction (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.