State College in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1892 offered America's first collegiate instruction in ice cream manufacture. A program that has helped to make Penn State an international center for research in frozen confections. The original Creamery Bldg (1889) housed the nation's earliest extension courses in dairy science. The creamery moved to Patterson Bldg (1904), Borland Lab (1932, expanded 1960), and the Food Science Bldg (2006) where it was renamed the Berkey Creamery in recognition of philanthropic support.
Erected by Penn State Alumni Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 40° 48.214′ N, 77° 51.744′ W. Marker is in State College, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is on Curtin Road close to Bigler Road. Located at 119 Food Science Building, Penn State University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: State College PA 16803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Correspondence Courses (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Ag Degrees (about 700 feet away); Jordan Soil PlotsArtificial Insemination (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Pennsylvania (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ag Experiment Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Walnut Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Calorimeter (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in State College.
Also see . . . The Penn State Creamery Story. University website entry (Submitted on September 11, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.