King of Prussia in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Take a Closer Look
The Father of our Country wears his military uniform but carries a civilian walking cane rather than his sword, which has been set aside. He stands by a farmer's plowshare, a symbol of his love of peace and agriculture. He rests his hand on a bundle of rods called fasces, a Roman symbol of civil authority.
George Washington, cast by Devile from original life mask by Houdon, 1785. Courtesy of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association.
Erected by Valley Forge National Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 6.051′ N, 75° 27.62′ W. Marker is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Valley Forge Park Road (Pennsylvania Route 23) 0.3 miles east of Gulph Road (Pennsylvania Route 3031), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 North Outer Line Drive, King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Village of Valley Forge (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Commander in Chief’s Guards (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Valley Creek (about 400 feet away); Washington’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Remembering Valley Forge (about 500 feet away); Did You Know?War Comes to Valley Forge (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King of Prussia.
Also see . . . Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service (Submitted on September 14, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.