Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Greenwood's First Artesian Well
Needing a fresh water supply for his ice company, Charles Edward Wright partnered with the mayor and Board of Aldermen to drill a well near this site. Wright and his business partner, Staige Marye, provided the boring rig, and the city provided piping. Drilling began in May 1895, and by June water was struck at a depth of nearly 500 feet. The well proved to be a clean source of water and became Greenwood's primary water supply. In 1897 Wright installed the city's first water works system.
Erected 2007 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 33° 31.023′ N, 90° 10.988′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of Wright Place and Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on Wright Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Wright Place, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery 'C' (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Edward Wright (approx. 0.2 miles away); WGRM Radio Studio (approx. 0.2 miles away); LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Point LeFlore (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenwood (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenwood Cotton Row District (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.