St. Stephen in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
St. Stephen Post Office
Bureau de Post de St. Stephen
Built in 1885-1887, this building was constructed to house the post office, customs and internal revenue. Designed under federal chief architect Thomas Fuller, the structure is one of a series of building erected to establish a federal presence throughout the country. This is a fine example of late 19th century design in its picturesque composition and in the varied colours and textures of the exterior building materials. The round-arched doors and windows and the decorative carving show the influence of the Romanesque Revival style. Since 1965, this building has served as the St. Stephen town hall.
Cet édifice a été construit entre 1885 et 1887 pour abriter un bureau de poste, de douanes, et d’autres services gouvernementaux. Conçu sous la direction de l’architecte en chef du gouvernement fédéral Thomas Fuller, it fait partie d’une serie de bâtiments construits pour établir une presence fédérale à travers le pays. Son agencement pittoresque ainsi que la variété des couleurs et de la texture de matériaux de l’extérieur en font un bel exemple du style de la fin du XIXᵉ siècle. Les ouvertures
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1965.
Location. 45° 11.553′ N, 67° 16.644′ W. Marker is in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is on Milltown Boulevard (New Brunswick Route 170) close to King Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Milltown Boulevard, St Stephen NB E3L 1G3, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Congregation Chaim Josef (approx. 0.7 kilometers away in the U.S.); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.7 kilometers away in the U.S.); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Calais 100th Anniversary of Incorporation (approx. 0.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); World War II Roll of Honor (approx. 0.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacéThe Milltown Cotton Mill Workers Monument (approx. 2.4 kilometers away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.7 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Stephen.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 2. submitted on September 24, 2014. 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.