St. Andrews in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
St. Andrews Blockhouse
Le Blockhaus de St. Andrews
— (West Point Blockhouse) —
The West Point Blockhouse and a battery were erected by the townspeople of St. Andrews at the outbreak of the War of 1812-14 in anticipation of a seaborne attack from the United States. Along with other defensive positions they were manned by local militia and British regulars throughout the War. Later the Blockhouse served as a barracks and as a storehouse. It is one of the few examples surviving in Canada of a once common defensive structure.
Le blockhaus connu aussi sous le nom de West-Point, et la batterie dont il est flanqué, on été construits par les habitants de St. Andrews au début de la guerre de 1812-14, en cas d’attaque par voie de mer de la part des États-Unis. Pendant la durée de la guerre, tous deux étaient garnis, comme plusieurs autres postes de défense de ll région, d’hommes de la milice locale et de troupes régulières britanniques. Plus tard, le blockhaus servit de caserne, puis d’entrepôt. C’est l’un des rares exemplaires qui aient été conservés de ce genre d’ouvrages autrefois communs
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 4.626′ N, 67° 3.721′ W. Marker is in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is on Joes Point Road just from Harriet Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Joes Point Road, St Andrews, New Brunswick E5B, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Two hundred years and counting (a few steps from this marker); Blockhouse 101 (a few steps from this marker); War of 1812: Defending St. Andrews (a few steps from this marker); Wartime legacies (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome, Enjoy your visit! (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenock Church / L’Église Greenock (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); St. Croix River (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Andrews.
Also see . . . St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site of Canada - Parks Canada. St. (Submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 389 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on September 25, 2014. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.