Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909)
Lynch Hall (1927)
One of the campus residence halls, this four-story structure was completed in 1927. It is named for the Rev. John J. Lynch, C.M. (1816-1888), the co-founder of this university. In 1856, Father Lynch and a colleague, Father John Monaghan, traveled to Suspension Bridge, now the north end of Niagara Falls, and learned of land for sale on Monteagle Ridge a few miles north in Lewiston. The 110-acre Vedder Farm was purchased and in 1859, three years after he purchased the site on which the university is located, Father Lynch was named coadjutor bishop of Toronto. In 1870, the Irish-born Vincentian was named Toronto's first archbishop.
O'Donoughue Hall (1909)
Built in 1909, the residence hall is named for the Rev. Francis X. O'Donoughue, C.M. (1849-1908), an alumnus and faculty member who donated a substantial inheritance from his family toward construction of the hall.
Erected by Niagara University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailo Hall (1992) (within shouting distance of this marker); Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Vincent's Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels (about 400 feet away); Alumni Hall / Chapel (about 400 feet away); Clet Hall, Marillac Hall, Laboure Hall (about 600 feet away); In Memory of Thomas F. Hopkins (about 600 feet away); Dunleavy Hall (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
More about this marker. There is no parking on Lewiston Road.
Also see . . . Niagara University. (Submitted on September 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.