Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gonzalez-Alvarez House

(The Oldest House)

 
 
Gonzalez-Alvarez House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, May 24, 2014
1. Gonzalez-Alvarez House Marker
Inscription.  For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations, a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were added. Preserved by St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918, the house became a registered national landmark in 1970.

Sponsored by the St. Johns County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Department of State

 
Erected 1986 by Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-311.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 29° 53.281′ N, 81° 18.607′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on St Francis Street east of Charlotte Street
Gonzalez-Alvarez House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, May 24, 2014
2. Gonzalez-Alvarez House and Marker
The marker is to the far left in this view.
, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 St Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Augustine’s Oldest House (a few steps from this marker); La Florida’s El Camino Real (a few steps from this marker); St. Francis Barracks (a few steps from this marker); Four Centuries----Five Flags (a few steps from this marker); Tovar House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); González-Alvarez House (within shouting distance of this marker); Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
An additional nearby Gonzalez-Alvarez House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, May 24, 2014
3. An additional nearby Gonzalez-Alvarez House Marker
Saint Augustine Historical Society
Saint Augustine’s Oldest House
The coquina walls of this authentic example of an early Spanish colonial home were built soon after the town was burned during the siege of 1702. Changes and aditions made by succeeding generations reflect the city’s history. Archaeology indicates continuous occupancy of this site by Europeans since the early 1600’s.
Preserved by the Saint Augustine Historical Society since 1918
1960
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 12, 2020