Marion in McDowell County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Served 1843-1845 as the seat of McDowell County government. Home of Col. John Carson and his sons, Jonathan L., Samuel P., William, & Joseph McD. Now a historical museum.
Erected 1965 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number N 35.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 35° 41.513′ N, 82° 3.504′ W. Marker is in Marion, North Carolina, in McDowell County. Marker is on U.S. 70 0.2 miles east of Lake Tahoma Road (North Carolina Highway 80), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1805 US 70W, Marion NC 28752, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Carson House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasant Gardens (approx. 1.6 miles away); Roy Williams (approx. 2.7 miles away); Daniel Kanipe (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cathey's Fort (approx. 7˝ miles away); Frontier Fort (approx. The Old Indian Fort (approx. 8.2 miles away); Andrews Geyser (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . . Historic Carson House. (Submitted on September 25, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 336 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.