Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Between 2004 and 2008 Commercial Properties Limited undertook the rehabilitation of this block as a viable business centre. The block’s exterior facades were repaired and restored to their Second Empire glory, while interior divisions were reworked or removed to make space suitable for 21st century business. The design for Centerbeam Place blends heritage features like original brick, original beams and original pressed tin ceilings into contemporary shops and workplaces.
When the work began the 1878 mud brownfield at the rear of the block’s buildings was faced by windowless dark walls. Once the contaminated soil was removed, a charming community plaza, overlooked by Victorian-style windows that flood light into the rear of the complex was created.
Erected 2008 by Commercial Properties Limited.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 45° 16.364′ N, 66° 3.731′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is at the intersection of Prince William Street and King Street, on the left when traveling south on Prince William Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Prince William Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John 225th Anniversary Clock (here, next to this marker); Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire (a few steps from this marker); A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage (within shouting distance of this marker); Scottish Strength (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marco Polo (within shouting distance of this marker); Here Stood the House Occupied by Benedict Arnold (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landing of the Loyalists (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); First Steam Fog Horn (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.