Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Le Théâtre Imperial
Constructed in 1912-1913 to the designs of Philadelphia architect A.E. Westover, this structure was built by the Keith-Albee chain of New York City and its Canadian subsidiary, the Saint John Amusements Company. Dramatic, musical and vaudeville performances were highlighted in the early years. Theatres of this kind, constructed between 1912 and 1930, were among the grandest built in Canada, and acted as a transition between traditional 19th century theatres and the movie palaces of the 20th century. This building has played a central role in the social and cultural life of the city.
Cet édifice fut bâti en 1912-1913 par la firme Keith-Albee, de New York, et sa filiale canadienne, la Saint John Amusements Company, selon les plans de l’architecte A.E. Westover, de Philadelphie. On y présentait au début de pièces de théâtre, des revues musicales et des pentacles de variétés. Les théâtres de ce genre, construits entre 1912 et 1930, comptaient parmi les plus majestueux au Canada et faisaient la transition entre les théâtres traditionnels de XIXᵉ siècle et les grandes salles de cinéma du XXᵉ
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 45° 16.381′ N, 66° 3.458′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Kings Square South close to Sydney Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Kings Square South, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s Original Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of New Brunswick (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Square (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (about 120 meters away); Saint John City Market (about The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . Imperial Theatre. The original Imperial Theatre was designed by Philadelphia architect Albert Westover, and was built in 1912 and 1913 by the Keith-Albee vaudeville chain of New York City and their Canadian subsidiary, the Saint John Amusements Company Ltd. The theatre was designed as a modern adaptation of the Italian Renaissance, and opened on September 19, 1913, and was used both for live vaudeville acts as well as "talkies". In 1929, it was renamed the Capitol Theatre, and like most vaudeville houses across the continent, became a cinema. (Submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.