Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House
Caserne No 2 des Mécaniciens Pompiers Volontaires
The cry “Fire!” so terrified Canadians in the early 19th century that communities began to construct permanent fire stations. Erected in 1840, this elegant Neoclassical building is a pioneer example of a firehall designed to house a volunteer brigade using manually drawn and operated pumper fire engines. These organizations served as the best line of defense against devastating conflagrations and played an important role in Victorian urban life. The work of local architect John Cunningham, his building recalls the earliest phase in the development of municipal fire fighting in Canada.
«Au feu!» Ce cri terrifiait tellement les Canadiens au début du XIXᵉ siècle que les villes commencèrent à construire des postes d’incendie permanents. Cet élégant édifice de style néo-classique, érigé en 1840, est l’une des premières casernes destinées à abriter des brigades de pompiers volontaires armés d’extincteurs à pompe manuellement déplacés et actionnés. Ces brigades constituaient la meilleure défense des communautés urbaines contre le feu et jouèrent un rôle majeur à l’époque victorienne.
Plaque above the marker
Caserne de Pompiers Bénévoles No 2
This structure, exhibiting Neo-classical features, is the earliest known example of a Canadian firehall built to house hand-operated pumper fire engines. Volunteer fire associations played an important role in Victorian urban life.
Cette structure, qui a des caractéristiques néo-classique, est la plus ancien exemple connu d’une caserne d’incendie canadienne construite pour abriter des autopompes manuelles. Les associations de pompiers volontaires ont joué un rôle important dans la vie urbaine à l’époque victorienne.
New Brunswick Historical Society
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 16.41′ N, 66° 3.422′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Sydney Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John’s Original Burial Ground (here, next to this marker); Founding of New Brunswick (here, next to this marker); Imperial Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); King’s Square (about 120 meters away); King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (about 120 meters away); Saint John City Market (about 180 meters away); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . Number 2 Mechanics' Volunteer Company Engine House National Historic Site of Canada. HistoricPlaces.ca's page for the Engine House: Number 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House National Historic Site of Canada is a handsome stone fire hall facing King’s Square, the oldest public park in the heart of Saint John, New Brunswick. Sandwiched between the larger court house and a row of four-storey commercial buildings, the small, two-storey, pitched-roof building speaks to its time and function.... (Submitted on September 30, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.