Near Kewaunee in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Kewaunee County Lime Kilns
Before modern cement came onto the market, lime was used in the making of mortar for brick and stonework. Lime was also used for whitewashing wood instead of painting. Large furnaces used heat to reduce nearby limestone rocks into lime.
As early as 1853, lime kilns were operated in the county by the Seth Moore family. The kiln portions which still stand near here were built in 1893 by the Nast brothers. The pictures show the kilns as well as a row of houses built for the workers, who were mostly Italian.
Erected 1996 by the Kewaunee County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features.
Location. 44° 27.579′ N, 87° 33.049′ W. Marker is near Kewaunee, Wisconsin, in Kewaunee County. Marker can be reached from County Highway F south of County Highway C, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in the back part of Bruemmer Park and Zoo. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: E4297 County Highway F, Kewaunee WI 54216, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other The Old Mill (approx. half a mile away); Kewaunee Marsh Arsenic Spill Area (approx. 2 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 2.3 miles away); Civil War and Cuban Veterans Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Great Kewaunee Fire (approx. 2.4 miles away); Early History of Kewaunee (approx. 2.4 miles away); Barge "Emerald" (approx. 2˝ miles away); Car – Ferry Service (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kewaunee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.