Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tennyson in Coke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Community of Tennyson

 
 
Community of Tennyson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, September 26, 2014
1. Community of Tennyson Marker
Inscription.  In area roamed by Indians for centuries. Tamed by open-range cattlemen in the late 1870s.
     Permanent settlement began in 1880s. A post office, named for British poet Alfred Tennyson, was established in 1894 with Mrs. Sarah E. Kiser as the first postmaster. Seven persons have held that office to date (1970). Over years, area has had several schools, but all are now closed.
     Nearby Mt. Margaret (height 335 feet), once locale of Indian activities, is now site of annual community homecoming (the Saturday before Labor Day) and Easter sunrise religious services each spring.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5225.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 31° 44.822′ N, 100° 17.18′ W. Marker is near Tennyson, Texas, in Coke County. Marker is on U.S. 277, 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 2333, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Angelo TX 76905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mule Creek Cemetery (here, next to this marker); W.H. Brown (approx. 7.6 miles away); Maverick (approx. 8 miles away); Bronte (approx. 9.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); Fort Chadbourne C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (approx. 9.7 miles away); Bronte Depot (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Tennyson and Mule Creek Cemetery Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, September 26, 2014
2. Tennyson and Mule Creek Cemetery Markers
Mt. Margaret image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, September 26, 2014
3. Mt. Margaret
Mt. Margaret is located 1/2 mile west of the marker
View to north along US 277 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, September 26, 2014
4. View to north along US 277
View to south along US 277 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, September 26, 2014
5. View to south along US 277
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=77617

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024