Miami Shores in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Activity was renewed in Biscayne in 1892 with the building of the first county road, from Lantana to Lemon City, through Biscayne, and the post office was reopened. Later a railroad depot and a school were built. In the 1920s, Miami Shores was developed where the community of Biscayne once stood.
Erected by The Historical Association of Southern Florida.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & SettlersPostal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 25° 51.854′ N, 80° 10.261′ W. Marker is in Miami Shores, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of North Bayshore Drive and Northeast 96th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Bayshore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miami FL 33138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lemon City-Nazarene (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lemon City Port (approx. 2.2 miles away); Historic Lemon Avenue (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lemon City-Knightsvile (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lemon City Post Office (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lemon City Library (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lemon City Train Station (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Cushman School (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Miami Shores. Miami Herald "Flashback Miami" (Submitted on October 10, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.