Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Anna in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wenger One Room School

Dinsmore District #4

 
 
Side A - - Wenger One Room School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
1. Side A - - Wenger One Room School Marker
Inscription.  Dinsmore Township School District No. 4 was formed in 1865 following a decision by the township’s board of education that a school would be built in the center of every four sections of land, or every four square miles. This placement of school buildings gave township children the opportunity to attend school close to home and the chance of receiving a public education up to the eighth grade. Nine districts were created for the children of white households, and an additional district was formed to educate the children of the African American families, for a total of ten districts in the township. On June 11, 1866, the Dinsmore Township School Board purchased land from George Wenger to build the District No. 4 school near the intersection of Ohio Route 274 and Wenger Road.

The first hewed log and framed one room school building was soon constructed, and 56 children began attending the Dinsmore Township District No. 4 in 1866. In 1870 the Dinsmore Township School Board abolished the segregation, and in 1875 closed the school for African American children. The brick one room school was built in 1887. The Dinsmore Township
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
School No. 4 educated students from 1866 – 1925 (59 years). On September 28, 1926 the Botkins Special School District sold the school house to John Wenger for $200. On April 22, 2010, Bill and Bonnie Elsass had the school moved one and a half miles to this present location where it has been restored for all to visit and enjoy.
 
Erected 2013 by Eugene P. Elsass Family, Richard E. Elsas Family Norman W. Elsass Family, Mary Jo (Elsaas) Raberding Family, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-75.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1961.
 
Location. 40° 25.43′ N, 84° 12.812′ W. Marker is near Anna, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is on Amsterdam Road (County Route 52) half a mile west of Wenger Road (County Route 50), on the left when traveling west. from I-75, exit west on St Rt 274, 2 miles to Wenger Road, then left or south one mile to Amsterdam Road, then right or west ½ mile, school is on left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11385 Amsterdam Rd, Anna OH 45302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collins Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rumley
Side B - - Wenger One Room School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
2. Side B - - Wenger One Room School Marker
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Village of Rumley (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lois Lenski (approx. 2.6 miles away); John W. Carey (approx. 2.8 miles away); Shelby House (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Site of the St. Jacob Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Olive Branch United Brethren In Christ Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anna.
 
Regarding Wenger One Room School. text of marker mentions African American school, I will post another page, regarding that school
 
Wenger One Room School Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
3. Wenger One Room School Site
marker and school house shot from Amsterdam Road
Wenger One Room School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
4. Wenger One Room School
side shot, facing west
Wenger One Room School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
5. Wenger One Room School
front of school house, facing south
Original Construction Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
6. Original Construction Plaque
Wenger One Room School Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
7. Wenger One Room School Site
new gazebo constructed behind the historic school
School Bell Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
8. School Bell Tower
wise old owl keeps watch over students in the school yard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 632 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 3, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=77671

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024