Palatka in Putnam County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Episcopal services in Palatka were first conducted in 1846 by the Rev. John F. Young, later Bishop of Florida (18767-1885). The parish was organized in 1853, and the church completed in 1854. During the Civil War, St. Mark's was used as a barracks by Federal troops and suffered considerable damage. After the War, the church served as the missionary center of the Episcopal Church in the St. Johns Valley. The original building, though altered, is still in use today.
Erected 1962 by Florida Board of Parks and Historical Memorials in cooperation with Putnam County Historical Society. (Marker Number F-84.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 38.919′ N, 81° 37.772′ W. Marker is in Palatka, Florida, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Main Street, Palatka FL 32177, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Palatka Florida 9/11 Memorial (about 400 feet Bronson-Mulholland House (about 500 feet away); Fort Shannon (about 500 feet away); Hotel James (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Spirit of the American Doughboy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Putnam County Viet Nam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Putnam County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Putnam County WW I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palatka.
Regarding Saint Mark's Episcopal Church. Church dates from 1846 and was used as a barracks/hospital by Federal troops during the Civil War Occupation.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 403 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 3. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 4, 5. submitted on October 6, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.