Gerolzhofen in Landkreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
The Watchmen's Tower
Geschichte für alle
historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V.
Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung
Marker text translated into English:
Here stood the watchman's tower as the inner gate of the northern double-gated entryway. The gate was first mentioned in 1340, and in 1511 under Bishop Lorenz von Bibra a tower was added. Barracks of the town watchmen. Dismantled in February 1878.
History for All
The Gerolzhofen Historical Society
Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation
Erected by The Gerolzhofen Historical Society and the Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 49° 54.104′ N, 10° 20.852′ E. Marker is in Gerolzhofen, Bavaria, in Landkreis Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gerolzhofen, Bavaria 97447, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centtor / "Cent" Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Owl's Tower (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chapel of St. John (about 90 meters away); Ehemalige Vogtei / Former Bailiff's Building (about 120 meters away); Parish Church (about 120 meters away); Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (about 120 meters away); Catholic Rectory (about 120 meters away); Frankenwinheimer Tor / Frankenwinheim Gate (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.