Near Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Exploratory Oil Well in Taylor County
Dr. J.A. Udden was hired to conduct a geological survey of the area, and he recommended two surface structures for further testing; one located five miles southeast of Abilene, and a second located about 2.5 miles northeast of town. Correspondence from city leaders to several oil and gas companies encouraged them to come to the area to drill for oil. The Frank P. Fox Oil Company of Indianapolis expressed interest in drilling in the Abilene area in 1915 and the company leased land and began drilling 6.5 miles southeast of Abilene on the Jon Bowyer lease (which was not one of the two locations identified
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15925.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 21.469′ N, 99° 41.496′ W. Marker is near Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is on Vinson Road (County Road 114) 0.9 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1750, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abilene TX 79602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lindbergh in West Texas (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway (approx. 4.3 miles away); Abilene State School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fletcher Ranch (approx. Prairie Dogs (approx. 5˝ miles away); The 'Real' Camp Barkeley (approx. 5.6 miles away); Judge Walter R. Ely (approx. 5.6 miles away); Parramore Post #57, American Legion (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.