Westerville in Custer County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1880 Westerville 1980
Westerville had many firsts in Custer County - the first frame church, the Methodist, whose bell echoed across the valley; the first newspaper, The Custer Leader, and the first doctor, lawyer, banker, monument cutter, and general stores. A sod house, hotel, blacksmith shop, livery barn, and flour mill aided early development. The County Agricultural Society was organized here and held the first two county fairs in Westerville, 1881-1882. The first county teachers institute also convened here.
Westerville was bypassed as the county seat and, when the railroad was built farther south in 1886, the town gradually declined. After 100 years, the village is an active community center which remains proud of its heritage. The modern farms which dot the peaceful valley pay tribute to the courage and perseverance of Westerville's early pioneers who now rest in the cemetery overlooking the village
Erected 1980 by Westerville Centennial Committee; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 248.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 23.785′ N, 99° 23.016′ W. Marker is in Westerville, Nebraska, in Custer County. Marker can be reached from Second Street ¼ mile east of U.S. Highway 183 (Nebraska Highway 2), on the left when traveling east. The Village of Westerville in Custer County, Nebraska is just northeast of the junction of U.S. 183 and State Highway 70. The hamlet has several blocks and the streets have no signage. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45317 Second Street, Westerville NE 68881, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Westerville United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. The marker is located on the southwest corner of the United Methodist Church property.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.